May 2018 projects – What I’ve been up to

DIY Wedding Dress I have promised a month ago that I will publish a summary post for each month of 2018, so here is my update on my May 2018 projects - What I've been up to!

Hello, dear sewing beauties! I have promised a month ago that I will publish a summary post for each month of 2018, so here is the update on my May 2018 projects – What I’ve been up to!

I truly, honestly hope that May is the last month this year when I am too busy to make a free sewing tutorial. I miss sharing new tutorials with you guys. 🙂

It’s the confession time! What have I been sewing this past month?

Projects 1 – Only the groom is missing

DIY Wedding Dress

Every single person I have shown this project to asked me if I am getting married. I am not, but I most certainly fell in love with this white fabric.

wedding dress fabric

I dreamt of having a beautiful, puffy white skirt, but I don’t have the real 50’s petticoat to fix it for me (yet). Therefore, I decided to pack on as much material as possible into the gathered skirt. I made two panels, one front and one back and each was 3 times as wide as my waist.

DIY Wedding Dress

I had an old, linen dress which had a very nice neckline. I saved the dress for years in case one day I will learn how to sew because I really wanted to reproduce that shape.

The day finally arrived and I was able to incorporate one of my favorite necklines into one of my (new) favorite dresses. The sleeves were a bit tricky because the initial plan was tying the bodice up with a bow made from the same material. The bow was supposed to rest on my shoulders.

However, in the middle of the work, I was gripped by a fancy to make it an off-shoulder dress. I still need to fix the fit of the bow, so that it is able to hold up the bodice… Live and learn.

DIY Wedding Dress


Project 2 – First ever refashion project!

After waiting in my closet for 10 YEARS this vintage blouse finally got the remake it deserved! You can read more about it here.

DIY Vintage Shirt Refashion

Project 3 – Vintage is the new sexy

Ladies and gentlemen! We’ve reached the memorable point when Marlena, for the first time in the history of My Curly Projects, did not take pictures wearing her own creations.

Why..? Because she made a set of sheer, organza high-waist shorts and a matching bralette. For sleeping. Not necessarily alone, shh. Just saying 🙂

DIY Vintage Shorts Lingerie

Unfortunately, the bralette pattern needs to be modified. It doesn’t fit me that well yet. I’m working on it. 🙂

The shorts, however…! Giiiirl, they are my favorite thing now! I’m going to make more versions of those. (Hopefully)

Project 4 – The summer is here!!!

We’ve been waiting for warmer weather so long here in Norway, that I just assumed we will have another summer when 15 degrees outside calls for a celebration.

Boy, was I wrong! May came and the summer weather descended upon us without any warning at all. I had many projects queued up, but none of them were summery. I simply didn’t want to spend time on something I would wear maybe one time this year. Two hot days in the row were enough for me to throw all my plans out of the window and start designing summer dresses! 

One hurried, joyful visit to the fabric store later and this cute little dress was born.

It is a very simple, seersucker dress. It has a gathered skirt, buttons on the center front and a low back.

DIY vintage summer dress, buttoned front dress, vintage cotton dress

It was my first time using bias bound seams and aaaahhh that was so fun!!! No lining needed! Such a joy for a lazy girl!

DIY vintage summer dress, buttoned front dress, vintage cotton dress

I used white bias tape and covered the neckline with white lace.

The effect is an extreeeeemely comfortable, cute dress. I received many compliments about it. Even complete strangers stop me on the street to compliment that dress. It’s a joy to wear on a hot, summer day!

DIY vintage summer dress, buttoned front dress, vintage cotton dress


Fun fact: as a non-native English speaker (I bet you couldn’t tell, right? Just kidding!) I was confused by the name “seersucker”. WHY? This fabric doesn’t suck at all, it’s amazing! Turns out the name comes from Persian “sheer” and “shakar” – milk and sugar. That explains everything and makes me feel much better about the name. The milky-sweet association works way better for me. 🙂

That’s it for this month my lovelies. Did you like any of the projects? Do let me know in the comments below.



8 thoughts on “May 2018 projects – What I’ve been up to

  1. Hi Marlena, I just discovered your blog and I am swooning over your beautiful projects! How do I subscribe to your newsletter? I don’t see an option to do so on your site. Thanks! 🙂

    1. Hi Lori,

      Thank you for checking out my blog!
      I am working on putting up a GDPR compliant sign-up form and I’m having little trouble with that. I HATE the pop-up signup forms and I’m trying to avoid using them on my website. They are so distracting!
      In the meantime, you can follow my Pinterest and Instagram page. I always put the links to the new tutorials there as soon as they are published. 🙂

      Marlena <3

  2. Hi Marlena, i’m New to your beautiful blog and loving your clothes. Are the patterns available to purchase. Especially the seersucker dress. Please let me know. Thank you.

    1. Dear Rosy,

      The pattern for an improved version of this dress is going to be available soon! Make sure you are on my mailing list to be the first to find out!

      Warm regards,
      Marlena 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *